Having a signature look is what defines you, It represents your own personal style and It is the best start for your fun style journey.
Being unique doesn’t mean you have to be bold and different in every way. Unique means that you’ll be able to stand out, let’s put it this way you’re at a tea party and when you entered the room a lady from the corner table is also wearing the same turquoise skirt that you have on. How do you stand out girl?
Make sure that whatever clothes you’re going to buy fits you perfectly, it hugs your body on right places
Consider the fabric and texture, find clothes that will flow and accentuate your features
Accessorize! Accessorize! To help the outfit stand out find the right accessories to match your dress, but remember less is more. Too much component can make you look like a chandelier.
Make up, it is not required to wear it every day or whenever you go out even a natural look can be your signature, you just have to check your face and skin, pamper yourself once in a while to freshen up and to wake up your inner glow. If ever you have to put on make-up, yes definitely it is fine but then again ladies LESS IS MORE you wouldn’t want to look like a clown or even a zombie with those beauty products that you put on, the key is find your asset, if it is your eyes, focus on making them pop up, if it is your lips make that as a highlight on your face.
This beautiful tea time garden setting was taken at The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Photography by Mandy Aileen | Gorgeous Pink Gown Designed by FIZIWOO
Makeup by Anna Sherie
Today (March 8th) is International Women’s Day ( PS: Personally I think every day is a good day to honor women) and so when FTD.com reached out to me and asked me to collaborate with them to write this post for their #ilooktoher campaign and to mention one woman whom I think has inspired me in some way it was a no-brainer – yes of course I would say yes.
Long before female journalist Zoe Barns showed up on House of Cards, Murphy Brown (on the show of the same name) blazed onto the small screen in my house in the late 1980s. I was mesmerized by the character’s strength, take-no-prisoners attitude and ability to strive in a typically male dominated field. Every week I would watch Murphy as she strode into the office, shoulder pads squared and hair styled to perfection, her appearance immaculate. Furthermore, she was more than her looks and stylish attire. Smart, sassy and intelligent, she epitomizes the hashtag #likeaboss, even before such a thing existes. And so with such an inspiration I suppose I never doubted that women should make waves in the corporate sector or in business, doting boyfriend/husband completely optional.
Not only did Murphy Brown stride into the office in stylish slacks and blazers – defying the usual, boring and overly-girly attire seen on television back then – but she was on a par with any man in her professional realm. I wanted to be that character. Down to the neck-scarves and sassy retorts such as “And why do you guys need a movement in the first place? Tired of getting higher pay for the same jobs?” She was a beautiful, tough woman who refused to play by the boys-school rules.
At the same time, Murphy Brown treated her colleagues and friends as equals and with the sort of respect and warmth beneath her gruff exterior, that caused them to rally around her through thick or thin. What more could a young girl aspire to?
As we celebrate International Women’s Day today, I hope that you too will reflect on the women who influenced you, motivated you, and encouraged you. Do better than just reflect on them – if you can, tell them. Show them. Send them some flowers to say “thank you for helping me blossom into the person I am today.” If I could send them to Murphy Brown, I would. What kind of flowers do you think she’d like? I’m guessing some sort of orchid – blessed with a long-life and much stronger than its outward beauty implies.
Thank you FTD.com for sponsoring this post.
To follow the campaign on Instagram, search for #ILookToHer or follow me on Instagram here
If there’s one more thing I’m head over heels in love with– it’s FOOD! Glorious, glorious FOOD! More so if they look as stunning as the picture above taken back during my stay at The Majestic Hotel. If you’re aiming for that Instagram worthy Foodie Shot or just want to leave your guests drooling with these beautifully set meals, then check out my stylish dining must-haves!
Gorgeous high tea setting at The Majestic Hotel | Photography by Mandy Aileen
While a heart of gold is something to admire in the rest of the world, in Hollywood it’s all about the gold statue – winning an Oscar is the pinnacle of success in The Golden State. So let’s look at how the gold Academy Award can be reflected in gold accessories for the work-desk where we all want to succeed.
For every Oscar-nominated film, there’s a corresponding desk accessory to consider.
1. Gone With the Wind. Nothing will be blown away by the wind if you get these adorable paperclips by Kate Spade.
2. The Razor’s Edge. This elegant peacock letter opener from Jonathan Adler is far superior in function and looks than any ordinary razor’s edge opener. I have this at home and it looks beautiful by itself on the entryway console.
3. The Hours. Opt for a traditional clock with a feminine, whimsical edge.
4. Cleopatra. Not only is this snake a fun talking-point, but it’s a magnifying glass for those times you don’t want to reach for your reading glasses but can’t read the fine print.
5. The Sound of Music. Dock your iphone or iPad on this gold accessory and listen to your music, or just charge your gadget, all with elegance.
6. Silver Linings Playbook. OK, so this Kate Spade one is lined with gold polka-dots, but it can still serve as your work-notebook for all your ideas.
7. Letters from Iwo Jima. From seeJanework.com comes this letter holder with an ampersand, heart or dots imprinted in gold.
8. The Reader. For the readers out there (and aren’t we all?!?) these gilded rock bookends are from Z Gallerie.
9. On Golden Pond. This S’well gold water bottle will look elegant on your desk while it reminds you to stay hydrated.
10. And don’t forget Chocolat. These chocolate truffles covered with edible gold and housed in an office-serious wooden box are the icing on the cake so to speak.
No one wins every time, but at least you can always feel like a winner when you surround yourself with touches of gold. And feeling like a winner is half the battle that leads you to success. Dress your playing field accordingly.
Form should always follow function and Banana Republic holds true to this mantra by presenting us with perfectly tailored ready to wear pieces during New York Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2016. From sleek trousers to cashmere sweaters, tailored coats, bright blazers and textured turtlenecks, their array of colorful clothes paired with bold patterns and textures definitely leave more than just a lasting impression– it is the must-have RTW collection of the season!
Here’s my favorite looks that would be perfect outfits for work from Banana Republic’s NYFW Fall/Winter 2016 Collection :
1. This chic yet comfortable turtleneck poncho layered onto a black and white striped long-sleeved top and paired with cigarette pants is perfect for the smart contemporary office. A classic striped clutch and black heels completes the look. Saunter into work on Monday looking like this and its a work-week slam dunk.
2. For a classic yet modern office look I love the blues in this outfit. The deep sapphire blue blazer looks amazing with other shades of blue here, or with other neutrals you would likely have in your closet. And if you can wear it with almost anything else in your wardrobe, isn’t that an investment?
3. Feeling a little femme fatale-ish? 50 Shades of Grey is not exactly office appropriate but wearing different shades of this classic neutral is always a good idea. Banana Republic gives us ample options from the deepest charcoals to the lightest smokey shades. I especially love the fact that because of grey’s muted tones here, The fur cardigan, leather gloves and pointed clogs in black gives the look just enough edge.
4. Almost the weekend, but you’re filled with meetings? Well secretly enjoy making an entrance to your appointments with chic ensembles like the ones below. The best thing is they look modern, yet still classically tailored that they would last you a few seasons. That is if Banana Republic doesn’t come up with yet more gorgeous coats for their next FW season.
5. Casual Fridays is finally here! Add some color to celebrate – I LOVE the mustard yellow blazer and distressed boyfriend jeans and lets not even talk about that brown leather jacket in the background.
So the question is – should I switch my king-size bed for a twin bed in my bedroom so
I can have more space for all this fabulousness?
PS: Thank you Gina Doost for attending the NYFW Banana Republic FW16 show for me.